Petricity is an electrical engineering toy for girls 8+up that connects nurturing with technology.
Imagine an inviting space in your local shopping mall, very much like a Build-a-Bear Workshop or American Doll Store. Once the girl enters the Petricity store she will be immersed into an environment where she feels encouraged to create her very own unique electronic pet.
The Petricity has 5 major sections inside where a girl can
1) Create her unique pet by choosing pet parts
2) Connect her pet to the in-store computers and learn how to program (“train” her pet)
3) Play and happily purchase her awesome pet
4) If the pet is damaged or “sick”, don’t worry. The Vet will repair the pet to be as good as new!
5) The Pet Park is the most important aspect of Petricity because it’s the community. It is an area where all children can have friendly interaction with each other and learn about each other’s projects. This way everyone can get even more encouraged to program more advanced tricks for their pets.
The girl will leave Petricity with not only an awesome pet, certificate of adoption, and cute carrier case, but with a greater knowledge and understanding of programing and technology. The Petricity programming software would be free for anyone who wants to practice programing at home. As the child gets older, the Petricity software grows with her; becoming more advanced, challenging, and fun!
Once inspired I went straight to the drawing board and started to develop my concept. I decided to create the first prototype of Petricity, Spike the puppy.
After I had an idea of what my prototype would look like, I 3D modeled it using Rhino, got it 3D printed, and created a looks like model. During my time in Berlin I refined the project by developing a code-blocking programming software with the help of a software/hardware programmer Silver. I also coordinated a programming workshop with children in the community to see how they interacted with it. Petricity is a concept still under development but with your help we can get this off the ground and into something great. Please feel free to contact me.